Mount Vernon News
  • January 5, 2011 11:00 am EST

FREDERICKTOWN — The Fredericktown Freddies had the worst of a good old fashioned backyard brawl on Tuesday evening, falling in interleague play to the visiting Clear Fork Colts, 30-28, in overtime.

The Freddies had a strong start, jumping to an 8-3 lead in the first quarter, holding the Colts to a single field goal. Clear Fork senior Trey Boyd dropped in the 3-pointer.

“This was a defensive struggle,” said Fredericktown coach Kirk Manns. “(Clear Fork’s) kids are physical kids. Our kids are also physical kids and they are both tough-minded as a group. That’s what it was. It’s usually a grind. Tonight was another grind, so I’m not surprised by the low score. Whenever you get two groups of kids that are that strong-willed, that’s usually what happens.”

The Freddies lost the lead in the second quarter. Clear Fork’s Logan Slavinski used a barrage of field goals to rack up seven of his game-high 15 points. Junior Justin Snyder hit a 3-pointer for Fredericktown to keep it close but the Colts went into the locker room ahead at the half, 16-15.

“We were up by as much as four or five in the first half,” said Manns. “There weren’t any big point runs in this game. We turned the ball over late in the first half, which really hurt us a few times. (Clear Fork) was able to capitalize on those turnovers.”

Of 20 Freddies’ turnovers, 11 were steals by Clear Fork. The Freddies only managed to steal the ball four times. Despite that, it remained close down the stretch and the Freddies managed to tie it up on a pair of last-minute free throws by Ryan Logan, who had six of his seven points in the second half. He put the Freddies ahead in the overtime period, 28-27, before fouling out of the game.

“The difference in the game tonight was not effort,” said Manns. “Both sides put out lots of effort. The team’s efforts were just great. Both teams were very good and sound on defense. Both teams rebounded the ball tonight. It came down to turning the basketball over tonight. We’ve got to do a better job of protecting the ball and limiting those mistakes.”

Clear Fork’s Trey Boyd knotted the score at 28 with under two minutes to go in overtime, hitting the back half of a pair of free throws. The Colts were 9-for-13 from the line, while the Freddies were 7-for-8.

With under a minute to go, Fredericktown’s Tyler Hathaway attempted a jumper from the paint, mired in traffic, causing him to miss. The Colts got the ball back and Slavinski hit a bucket for the game-winner.

Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • Print
  • Discuss
  • Comments
  • Pin It



© Copyright 2013 Progressive Communications. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed, without the expressed permission of Progressive Communications. 740-397-5333  1-800-772-5333  Facebook  YouTube  Twitter   Google Currents