By , Mount Vernon News
June 27, 2013, 3:26 pm

The Mount Vernon Fire Department would like to remind our citizens that the discharging of fireworks is dangerous and can result in serious injury. Careful consideration should be taken to ensure that the fireworks that will be utilized are both legal and are properly discharged.

Proper safety measures include having adequate eye protection, ensuring that no loosely fitting clothing will come in contact with open spark or flame, providing adequate distance between the firework and any combustible structure or object, and finally, providing correct and adequate parental oversight for children that are involved with the firework’s usage.

Flame lanterns, sky lanterns, or Chinese lanterns are considered to be a “flame effect” by the Ohio State Fire Marshal. Because of this classification, these devices are NOT LEGAL to discharge within the State of Ohio without proper licensing and permitting. Please make sure that the fireworks that you intend to use are legally permitted to be discharged in Ohio prior to your home exhibition. Failure to secure the proper permits or licensing could result in the fire department issuing a citation that will carry a fine.

A complete explanation of the exhibition standards, licensing procedure, and any other concerns relative to fireworks can be found at http://www.com.ohio.gov/fire/FireworksRedbook.aspx. This website also contains a list of common exempt and non-exempt fireworks in the State of Ohio. Please do not plan on discharging any of the items that are found in the list of non-exempted fireworks. This would constitute as an activity that is contrary to the law and would result in a citation and fine.

More information can also be found in the Ohio Fire Code. To access this document there is a link on our website: http://www.mountvernonohio.org/mvfd/.

story from

 

 

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.

Comments are closed.