FREDERICKTOWN — Firefighters fought a house fire at 18985 Cooke Road, Saturday, shortly before noon, during frigid temperatures. Fredericktown firefighters were called to the scene and found smoke coming from the roof, according to Chief Scott Mast.
Mutual aid was received from the Johnsville Fire Department. Mast said 17 firefighters fought the fire, which apparently began near a stovepipe running from a woodburner in the living area of the home.
Mast said the homeowner, Toby Smith, called 9-1-1 after smelling smoke. The chief said several smoke detectors in the residence were activated.
Mast said the fire then extended into the attic of the home. Explaining that attic fires can be extremely difficult to contain, he said the fire crews did an excellent job of quickly knocking down the fire.
“Usually, once it’s in the attic it’s a done deal,” Mast said. “But our attack was right on target.
“The guys just did a great job,” Mast said, adding that the fire was contained in about 45 minutes. “We only used about 500 gallons of water.”
The low water usage cut down on water damage inside the home, which did sustain smoke and fire damage.
Hose line was run over 150 feet up the driveway to bring water to the fire.
Neighbors helped move some of the family’s belongings from the garage, to prevent the items from becoming smoke damaged.
Mast said the family was offered housing by the Knox County Chapter of the American Red Cross, but the Smiths planned to stay with family.