MOUNT VERNON — A small fire in a storage room at the Curtis Inn on Public Square was determined to have been caused by materials stored too close to a wall-mounted heater, according to Mount Vernon Assistant Fire Chief Chris Menapace.
The MVFD was dispatched to the motel at 6:04 Monday evening. Incident commander MVFD Capt. Dave Mills directed the 11 firefighters who responded with a ladder truck, two engines and a medic.
“The fire was in a storage room off an exterior stairwell,” Menapace said. “Some storage in there became involved in fire. The heat for that room is provided by a wall-mounted heater.”
Menapace said the fire was quickly contained with a water can. The Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal was contacted to investigate the fire, and an SFM investigator arrived later in the evening.
“This was a state-licensed facility, so the SFM was called,” Menapace said.
All hotels and motels in Ohio are state licensed and inspected by state fire inspectors.
“The SFM determined the miscellaneous storage caught fire and was stored too close to the wall heater,” Menapace said.