MOUNT VERNON — Mount Vernon businesses and supporters of the annual Christmas Parade were on-hand Thursday night to help fund the kickoff of the holiday season.
The Annual Christmas Parade Auction was held Thursday evening at Flappers Bar & Grille. Sponsorships for the 19 parade categories were auctioned off to the highest bidders. There was also a silent auction this year for items including a piece of hand-blown glass by Robert Coleman, a lighted tree by Elaine Ambrosiani, 2009 US Mint set, four tickets to opening night of “Annie,” a Cleveland Browns helmet signed by Bernie Kosar, a framed drawing from Vicki Herrick Coleman and a framed photo by Bill Ernst.
Auctioneers for this year’s event were Jason and Jenney Murray.
“It is the first year, but I’m never far from a microphone,” said Jenney. “I’m looking forward to a good time and raising a lot of money.”
“The auction is to raise funds for the parade,” explained Lynne Ricard, downtown manager of the Heritage Centre Association. “Businesses that are interested in supporting the community and promoting their businesses will be bidding on sponsorships of the 19 different entry categories in the Christmas parade.”
The sponsors’ names will be on the awards for the entries and on banners hung along South Main Street.
Winning bidders for the different awards were:
1. Walking entry, Hearld’s Appliances and Electronics and Duke’s Quick Lube, $200.
2. Animal entry, Innovation Greenhouse (Kenyon), $125.
3. Business entry, Chamber of Commerce, Modern Builders and Hunnicuts Jewelry, $350.
4. Humorous entry, Ohio Rental, $150.
5. Humorous entry/walking, Virginia and Barbara Barry, $200.
6. Religious entry, Ann Laudeman of Real Living, $125.
7. Senior Adult entry, Tim Horton’s, $400.
8. Youth entry, Kahrl & Company, $300.
9. Classic Auto entry, Duke’s Quick Lube, Dumbaugh Insurance and Kevin, Kerra and Kingston Clinedinst, $800.
10. School entry, Mount Vernon News, $325.
11. Horse Drawn entry, Page One Group, $250.
12. Equestrian entry, Mount Vernon News, $200.
13. Pony-Drawn entry, First-Knox National Bank, $125.
14. Antique Implement entry, Wolff House Wallpapers, $225.
15. Emergency Vehicle entry, Knox Community Hospital and Dennis & Schisler, $400.
16. Organizational entry, Debbie and John Urton, $300.
17. Best Parade entry, First-Knox National Bank, $325.
18. Best Motorcycle entry, Mid-Ohio Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki; Flappers Bar & Grille and Page One Group, $700.
19. Dan Emmett Best Overall, First-Knox National Bank, $400.
In addition, Parkside Restaurant & Tavern made a donation of $100 to bring the total to an even $6,000.
The silent auction raised $756.
This year’s parade will be Saturday, Nov. 28, at 1:30 p.m. in downtown Mount Vernon.