MOUNT VERNON — Clothing too close to an over-heated space heater set an upstairs bedroom on fire at 109 N. Division St. early this morning.
The Mount Vernon Fire Department received the alarm at 5:02 a.m. Fire Chief Shawn Christy said, “The occupant of the home, Jeneal Burrows, and her two daugthers, left the house and called 9-1-1.”
Firefighters were able to confine the fire damage to the bedroom but Christy said water leaked through the wood flood causing damage in the kitchen. “There was a smoke detector in the house, but there was no battery in it,” Christy said.
The department sent two engines and ladder truck to the scene. Firefighters worked in 17-degree cold and a blustery wind. Christy said they had to go slow because of freezing water. The department cleared the scene at 5:45 a.m. The American Red Cross, Knox County Chapter, is assisting the Burrows family.