DANVILLE — “All indication [points to] a child with a lighter started the fire,” said Eastern Knox County Joint Fire District Chief Larry Stimpert, after fire gutted an apartment in Danville Commons on Thursday.
The occupants of the apartment, located at 207 W. Walnut St., Becky Thomas and her three children ages 3, 9 and 12, escaped without injury.
The department got the alarm at 12:55 p.m. with a report of smoke and fire coming from a window and under the eaves.
“It was burning pretty good when we go there,” Stimpert said. A dozen firefighters answered the alarm and contained the fire in about 15 minutes, according to Stimpert.
Although the College Township Fire Department was called in for mutual aid, the request was canceled when the fire was contained to just one apartment.
The American Red Cross Knox County Chapter assisted the family.