CENTERBURG — A heat lamp that was apparently knocked over started a fire that caused heavy damage to a garage and its contents Friday evening. The fire was at the home of Neil Thompson, 3182 Columbus Road, west of Centerburg. It started about 6:40 p.m.
Lt. Jason Whipple of the Central Ohio Joint Fire District said his department took about 30 minutes to control the fire in the 24-by-32-foot pole building. Heavily damaged were lawn tractors, quad runners, tools and other equipment.
There were three inside dog pens where the dogs could run in and out of the building. The heat lamp was in one of the pens. The dogs were not injured. Whipple estimated the damage at $15,000 plus. He said the garage could probably be rebuilt with new stringers and roof.
Whipple said only 750 gallons of water were used to quell the fire. Mutual aid came from Hartford Township and BFT&G departments; both responded with engines and tankers. The