MOUNT VERNON — A piece of machinery overheated at International Paper on Saturday causing a fire.
The Mount Vernon Fire Department responded to a call at 5:20 p.m. on Saturday after representatives from Ohio Central Railroad spotted smoke coming from the nearby facility.
Two engines and a ladder truck responded to the scene where it was discovered an automated baler had overheated and caught fire.
“A baler in the facility was clogged with dust, paper and debris at the infeed chute, causing it to overheat,” said MVFD Assistant Chief Chris Menapace.
The fire was contained by 5:45 p.m., and the firefighters left the scene at 6:25.
The fire was contained to the one room; and there was no structural damage, but the baler was ruined, according to Menapace.
No injuries were reported.
Calls to International Paper requesting additional information on the fire were not returned at press time.