MOUNT VERNON — A possible structural failure in the roof beam caused owner Mike Vail to close his auto repair garage on Wooster Road, at the intersection of Proper Road, on Wednesday afternoon. While he was raising a car on the lift he noticed the ceiling moving and cracks developing around the beams.
Fearing complete failure, he called the College Township-Monroe Township Fire Department. After they examined the damage the decision was to close the building and have it checked out by a building inspector.
Vail said he thinks the building is about 60 years old and was originally built as a corner grocery store. About 1970, Monroe Township bought the property and enlarged it into a two-bay fire station.
Vail, who also operates an auto sales lot, said he has owned the property for 16 years.