MOUNT VERNON — Damage from a fire to a garage and contents was estimated from $10,000 to $15,000 by Mount Vernon Assistant Fire Chief Chris Menapace. Thurday’s fire was behind 102 Chester St. in the northwest section of Mount Vernon. The department received the call at 11:14 a.m.
Menapace said the owner, Charles Green, cleaned the coals from a cook stove and placed them in a cardboard box. Hot embers set the box on fire that spread to the garage. Lost inside the garage were a lawn mower, furniture and wood working equipment.
Firefighters had to string hose from the nearest hydrant 200 feet down the alley to the garage behind Chester Street. Eleven firefighters answered the alarm. They took two engines and the ladder truck. They were on the scene one hour and 35 minutes.