MOUNT VERNON — Mount Vernon firefighters spent 45 minutes Thursday evening checking to determine if a fire in a chimney had spread into the Michael Huggins home at 14320 Beckley Road. The department received the call at 8:14 p.m.
Fire Chief Shawn Christy said the fire was from a wood burning stove. Firefighters used dry power down the chimney to stop the fire. Christy said movement on the snow-covered roof was difficult.
Smoke seeped through cracks in the chimney into the attic but there was no other damage. Thermal imaging cameras were used to determine if fire burned through the chimney. Christy said firefighters also checked the home for signs of additional burning.