MOUNT VERNON — Burning coals set next to a wall started a fire at a home at 6645 Feasel Road on Sunday morning.
Mount Vernon Fire Department Assistant Chief Chris Menapace said home owner Daniel Stainbrook said he cleaned coals from his wood burning stove and set the bucket againt the living room wall.
The wall caught fire setting fire to the living room and burned through the ceiling into the upstairs bedroom. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to those two rooms. Menapace estimates the damage at $50,000.
Steinbrook was taken to Knox Community Hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released.
The Homer and Utica fire departments responded with mutual aid. Homer Fire Chief Randy King said members of his department routinely gather at the station in Homer on Sunday morning and were able to respond quickly with a tanker, squad and eight firefighters. Utica came with an engine, tanker and medic and nine firefighters.