GAMBIER — A large barn at 2337 Horn Road, east of Gambier, was heavily damaged by fire Sunday morning. The property, owned by William Vance, housed a dog kennel on the ground floor with living quarters on the second story of the 4,800-square-foot structure. Construction was under way on the living quarters but it was not occupied.
The cupolas on the barn were burning when firefighters arrived. By the time they were able to lay the hose line and get more water to the fire, it had spread through the upper floor.
Eastern Knox County Joint Fire District Capt. Brian Durbin told the News the barn was back a lane and firefighters had to lay 1,500 feet of five-inch hose line from a pond at the entrance of the property to help feed water to the fire engines on the scene.