MOUNT VERNON — On Wednesday evening, the Mount Vernon fire department responded to a fire reported at 17375 Murray Road.
Fire Chief Chris Menapace said the blaze was in a field off the roadway and no injuries or damage to any structures were involved. He said the fire was an open burn and the incident is still under investigation.
In the event hazardous materials were connected with the burn, the Knox County Emergency Management personnel were called to the scene, EMA director Brian Hess told the News today.
An EPA investigative team will join Menapace and Hess at the scene today to determine exactly what chemicals may have been involved in addition to diesel fuel and gasoline which were apparently used to accelerate the fire.
Hess said one concern is how the materials at the scene are stored; another is a large pile of tires in the immediate area.
The property is owned by Robert and Donna Wilson.