MOUNT VERNON — Lightning hitting a large tree caused considerable damage Wednesday morning to a home at 13159 Old Mansfield Road. The home, owned by John and Rebecca Lowther, is a mile north of Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon Fire Chief Chris Menapace said lightening hit between 5:30 and 6 a.m.
The bolt blew bark from the tree over a wide area. It then traveled a service line into the home’s electrical system that started a smoldering fire in the wall. The fire eventually went up the wall into the attic where it burned through the roof. The fire was discovered at 10:55 a.m.
The lightening bolt also hit a gas line and blew off a cap about four feet underground, and hit a telephone pole with cable lines knocking that out. The bolt traveled on underground electrical cable to a barn behind the house knocking the service box off the wall.
Mount Vernon firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in the attic. Mutual aid was provided by Monroe Township Fire Department.
No estimate of damage was available.