MOUNT VERNON — In an extremely close Democratic primary, it appears that John Ryerson of Gambier has narrowly defeated Bradley Duane Schaaf of Utica by 45 votes for the right to challenge Republican Margaret Ann Ruhl for the 68th State House District in November.
Knox County was done early, but it was after midnight before Delaware County posted the last of its 143 precincts. The 68th District consists of all of Knox County and the southeast quarter of Delaware County. According to the unofficial totals, Ryerson had 1,532 votes to Schaaf’s 1,487. Schaaf won in Knox County, 754 to 709, but Ryerson made up the difference in Delaware County by garnering 823 vote to Schaaf’s 733.
If the margin of 50.7 percent to 49.3 percent holds up in the official count, it will be just outside the margin that would trigger an automatic recount.
When Ryerson left Democratic headquarters Tuesday evening, the race was close, with Schaaf a few votes ahead, and Ryerson indicated he thought Schaaf would win. Schaaf remained at headquarters for a while and was being congratulated on what looked like might be a narrow victory.
- Roger Brown (R)(43% ) —4096
- David Shaffer ✔ (R)(57% ) —5548
- Thom Collier ✔ (R)(59% ) —5407
- Shirley Fletcher (R)(22% ) —2013
- Tim Smith (R)(19% ) —1729
- Shelley Coon ✔ (R)(58% ) —5089
- Renee McDaniel (R)(42% ) —3758
- Jeff Furr (773 Knox County) (1223 Delaware County) (R)(12% ) —1996
- Jason Rogers (1767 Knox County) (1770 Delaware County) (R)(23% ) —3644
- Margaret Ann Ruhl (6612 Knox County) (4149 Delaware County) ✔ (R)(65% ) —10773
- John Ryerson (709 Knox County) (823 Delaware County) ✔ (D)(51% ) —1532
- Brad Schaaf (754 Knox County) (733 Delaware County) (D)(49% ) —1487
- Newt Gingrich (R)(14% ) —2734
- Jon Huntsman (R)(1% ) —148
- Ron Paul (R)(12% ) —2436
- Rick Perry (R)(1% ) —180
- Mitt Romney (R)(28% ) —5565
- Rick Santorum (R)(44% ) —8599
Central Ohio Joint Fire District levy for Replacement of 5.5 mills and an increase of 2.4 mills to constitute 7.9 mills for fire & EMS. has Failed.
Village of Fredericktown levy for Electricity aggregation has Passed.
Knox County Senior Citizens levy for Renewal of 0.79 mill for operation of services and facilities for senior citizens has Passed.
Wal Mart Supercenter, Precinct 3-C levy for D-6 liquor permit has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 5.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 2.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.