MOUNT VERNON — A confident air prevailed Tuesday night as Knox County Republicans gathered at the Alcove Restaurant to await primary election results that saw Margaret Ann Ruhl and Thom Collier advance to general election contests while David Shaffer and Shelley Coon won key county-wide races.
Ruhl was a landslide winner in a three-way race for the newly-drawn 68th District of the Ohio House of Representatives, while former State Rep Collier won handily in his bid to replace the retiring Allen Stockberger on the Knox County Board of Commissioners. Also scoring a convincing win was Rich Cochran, who was elected over Steve Cuckler to represent the 19th District on the State Republican Central Committee.
Shaffer and Coon were comfortable winners on the Republican slates for Knox County sheriff and treasurer, respectively. Neither will have a Democratic challenger in the Nov. 5 general election. Another half-dozen Republican incumbents ran unopposed Tuesday in countywide races and will also be unopposed in the fall: County Commissioner Theresa Bemiller, Clerk of Courts Mary Jo Hawkins, County Engineer Jim Henry, Recorder John Lybarger, Coroner Dr. Jennifer Ogle and Prosecutor John Thatcher.
- Roger Brown (R)(43% ) —4096
- David Shaffer ✔ (R)(57% ) —5548
- Thom Collier ✔ (R)(59% ) —5407
- Shirley Fletcher (R)(22% ) —2013
- Tim Smith (R)(19% ) —1729
- Shelley Coon ✔ (R)(58% ) —5089
- Renee McDaniel (R)(42% ) —3758
- Jeff Furr (773 Knox County) (1223 Delaware County) (R)(12% ) —1996
- Jason Rogers (1767 Knox County) (1770 Delaware County) (R)(23% ) —3644
- Margaret Ann Ruhl (6612 Knox County) (4149 Delaware County) ✔ (R)(65% ) —10773
- John Ryerson (709 Knox County) (823 Delaware County) ✔ (D)(51% ) —1532
- Brad Schaaf (754 Knox County) (733 Delaware County) (D)(49% ) —1487
- Newt Gingrich (R)(14% ) —2734
- Jon Huntsman (R)(1% ) —148
- Ron Paul (R)(12% ) —2436
- Rick Perry (R)(1% ) —180
- Mitt Romney (R)(28% ) —5565
- Rick Santorum (R)(44% ) —8599
Central Ohio Joint Fire District levy for Replacement of 5.5 mills and an increase of 2.4 mills to constitute 7.9 mills for fire & EMS. has Failed.
Village of Fredericktown levy for Electricity aggregation has Passed.
Knox County Senior Citizens levy for Renewal of 0.79 mill for operation of services and facilities for senior citizens has Passed.
Wal Mart Supercenter, Precinct 3-C levy for D-6 liquor permit has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 5.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 2.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.