MOUNT VERNON — Spirits were high among the party faithful who showed up at Knox County Democratic Party headquarters Tuesday evening to await the primary election results. There weren’t a lot of people there, but that wasn’t surprising since the party had only one contested race on the ballot — the race to see who will challenge Margaret Ann Ruhl for the 68th Ohio House District seat in November.
However, they were also interested in who won the Republican races, whether they have a candidate running against them in the fall or not, and in how the Republican presidential primary was going.
Party leaders acknowledge that they have an uphill battle to win elections in Knox County, especially outside of Mount Vernon. Just coming up with candidates is tough, as the number of races without Democratic candidates will attest to. Still, they aren’t giving up just because the odds are long.
Party Secretary Mary Rugola-Dye said, “The party is growing. And as we grow from our base we will find candidates.
“Knox is a red (Republican) county, but we have to get as many Democrats as possible to run for seats.
“We gained a lot of volunteers in 2008 and we’re getting more people involved, to fill those seats and not be afraid to run in Knox County.
Party Chair Adam Gilson came by after the board of elections, on which he serves, completed its election night duties.
- Roger Brown (R)(43% ) —4096
- David Shaffer ✔ (R)(57% ) —5548
- Thom Collier ✔ (R)(59% ) —5407
- Shirley Fletcher (R)(22% ) —2013
- Tim Smith (R)(19% ) —1729
- Shelley Coon ✔ (R)(58% ) —5089
- Renee McDaniel (R)(42% ) —3758
- Jeff Furr (773 Knox County) (1223 Delaware County) (R)(12% ) —1996
- Jason Rogers (1767 Knox County) (1770 Delaware County) (R)(23% ) —3644
- Margaret Ann Ruhl (6612 Knox County) (4149 Delaware County) ✔ (R)(65% ) —10773
- John Ryerson (709 Knox County) (823 Delaware County) ✔ (D)(51% ) —1532
- Brad Schaaf (754 Knox County) (733 Delaware County) (D)(49% ) —1487
- Newt Gingrich (R)(14% ) —2734
- Jon Huntsman (R)(1% ) —148
- Ron Paul (R)(12% ) —2436
- Rick Perry (R)(1% ) —180
- Mitt Romney (R)(28% ) —5565
- Rick Santorum (R)(44% ) —8599
Central Ohio Joint Fire District levy for Replacement of 5.5 mills and an increase of 2.4 mills to constitute 7.9 mills for fire & EMS. has Failed.
Village of Fredericktown levy for Electricity aggregation has Passed.
Knox County Senior Citizens levy for Renewal of 0.79 mill for operation of services and facilities for senior citizens has Passed.
Wal Mart Supercenter, Precinct 3-C levy for D-6 liquor permit has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 5.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.
Village of Utica levy for Additional 2.5 mills, Current Expenses in Knox County has Failed.