MOUNT VERNON — Only three businesses and a few residences were affected when a water line on Mount Vernon Avenue broke Wednesday morning. Water service to Colonial City Lanes, the Java Hut, Parkside Restaurant and Tavern, seven houses and some apartments was affected, reported the Mount Vernon Water Department.
A boil advisory was issued, which means any water being used for human consumption should be boiled first to kill harmful bacteria that may have gotten into the system. City Engineer Cameron Keaton said advisories in this situation usually last about 24 hours or until tests come back clear of bacteria.
The businesses were contacted by the city and door hangers were left at the residences.
The break occurred about 9:30 a.m. and service was restored about noon.
Keaton said Reynolds In-Liner, the company working on a project to insert a liner into the sanitary sewer line in the area was digging down to an abandoned sewer line to plug the line, when a tooth on the bucket snagged a 6-inch water line that was nearby.
Keaton said the company’s contract calls for them to take care of some peripheral work while they are in the area, including plugging abandoned sewer lines or repairing manholes.
The Java Hut and Parkside Restaurant both reported going out and buying bottled water for their needs until the boil advisory is listed. They were taking the inconvenience in stride, the Java Hut noting that they don’t prepare food and a spokesman for Parkside saying, “We’re on a boil advisory. It is what it is.”
Colonial City Lanes said it would only affect their ability to serve fountain drinks until the advisory was listed. They also sell canned and bottled drinks.