Mount Vernon News
 
 
Students congregated outside of Pioneer Hall at Mount Vernon Nazarene University this morning after safely evacuating when a fire alarm had sounded. A straightening iron was found to be the source of the alarm.
Students congregated outside of Pioneer Hall at Mount Vernon Nazarene University this morning after safely evacuating when a fire alarm had sounded. A straightening iron was found to be the source of the alarm. (Photo by Alan Reed)

By Mount Vernon News
April 13, 2012 11:17 am EDT

 

MOUNT VERNON — Around 30 female students evacuated the Pioneer Hall dormitory at Mount Vernon Nazarene University when a fire alarm sounded shortly before 9 a.m. this morning. Firefighters from the Mount Vernon Fire Department responded to the scene and discovered an overheated hair straightener which was believed to be the source of the alarm.

Advertisement

LJJA Martial Arts

 

MVFD Chief Chris Menapace told the News that the straightening iron was discovered in a dorm room and had a slight smell which tripped the alarm. There was no fire and no damage reported.

“MVNU is very diligent in their emergency procedures,” Menapace said about how the students all exited on their own when the alarm sounded. “They did an excellent job of evacuating.”

No injuries were reported in the incident. The students were able to re-enter Pioneer Hall in about 20 minutes, according to Menapace.

 

 


Contact Alan Reed
Email

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.