MOUNT VERNON — Around 30 female students evacuated the Pioneer Hall dormitory at Mount Vernon Nazarene University when a fire alarm sounded shortly before 9 a.m. this morning. Firefighters from the Mount Vernon Fire Department responded to the scene and discovered an overheated hair straightener which was believed to be the source of the alarm.
MVFD Chief Chris Menapace told the News that the straightening iron was discovered in a dorm room and had a slight smell which tripped the alarm. There was no fire and no damage reported.
“MVNU is very diligent in their emergency procedures,” Menapace said about how the students all exited on their own when the alarm sounded. “They did an excellent job of evacuating.”
No injuries were reported in the incident. The students were able to re-enter Pioneer Hall in about 20 minutes, according to Menapace.