MOUNT VERNON — The Mount Vernon News uses 26,000 pounds of newsprint every week to print the News, the Shoppers Mart and many commercial print jobs. In an effort to continue its commitment to the environment and to keep our landfills free of newspapers, the News will host the first of two annual recycling days on Saturday.
“We understand the value of recycling all products but especially newsprint,” said Publisher Kay Culbertson. “Being environmentally conscious with providing a convenient means for our readers to recycle their papers is a service we are proud of. Purchasing our newsprint from a manufacturer that is heavily involved in not only using recycled material, but also managing successful reforestation programs is also of great importance to us.”
A Canadian company that supplies newsprint to the News, owns and manages over 38 million acres of timberland in Canada and the United States under Resolute Forest Products Inc.
“Woodlands owned or managed by the company provide approximately 38 percent of our required supply of virgin fibers, with the remaining 62 percent purchased from external sources,” states Resolute’s website.
Forestry plans ranging in length from 20 to 25 years are in place to maintain AbitibiBowater’s efforts to replenish its natural wood sources as well as the environmental benefits found in keeping our planet lush with plant life as trees absorb carbon dioxide and emit oxygen.
“Strict adherence to internationally recognized sustainable forest management standards provides our customers with the assurance that the wood fiber we utilize originates from responsibly managed forests,” Resolute’s website states.
According to the Newspaper Association of America, the average newspaper contains 30 percent recycled fiber content.
Readers are encouraged to bring newspapers to Saturday’s recycling day along with a coupon that has appeared in previous editions of the News, as well as Friday’s edition, for a free one-month subscription. News staff employees will be on hand from 8 a.m. to noon to unload items at the dock, located on South Gay Street, near the intersection of Gay and Vine streets.