FREDERICKTOWN — In 1987, the community of Fredericktown banded together to build a bandstand in the center of the town. Sunday, 25 years later, the community came together again, to celebrate the anniversary of the structure, open the time capsule that was placed in the foundation, and have some cake and ice cream.
The cake was made in the shape of the bandstand, but it was probably the free ice cream bars from Velvet Ice Cream, plus the free bottles of water, that were especially appreciated on the hot and humid afternoon.
In fact, by the time the time capsule was opened, most of the crowd of 150 to 200 people were sitting behind the bandstand in the shade.
The centerpiece of the event was the opening of the time capsule. Some of those who helped place it in the structure in 1987 — Jim Fox, Max Schonauer and Skip Lanz — removed the box from behind the stone with the 1987 date on it (it had already been prepared for removal), then Fox cut it open.
Inside the box was a collection of photos and newspaper clippings about the construction of the gazebo, a 1938 penny hat was found when the sidewalk around the stand was constructed, a number of commemorative coins from the 175th anniversary of the village celebrated in 1982, a coin dated 1864 from the S.S. Tutee Store, pictures of the old bandstand which was torn down in 1956, a 1943 steel nickel, several wooden nickels bearing the name Dean and Iris Updike, Good Sams 5569, a high school commencement program from that year and a booklet of historic photos of the village.
There was also a letter from James Allen, who headed the effort to put the time capsule together in 1987. The letter was read by his daughter, Jennifer Allen, who was 5 when the capsule was sealed.
The letter sent greetings to the people assembled in 2012, described the community effort to build the bandstand, which was a project put forward by the Fredericktown Development Foundation. The construction effort in early May was chronicled and the community celebration when the bandstand was dedicated on May 17, 1987, was described. The writer also described the village at the time, how it was changing, and the issues that were being faced.