Mount Vernon News
 
 
Mount Vernon Firefighters survey the damage to the chimney at the Mount Vernon Public Library after lightning struck it this morning.
Mount Vernon Firefighters survey the damage to the chimney at the Mount Vernon Public Library after lightning struck it this morning. (Photo by Chuck Martin)

By Mount Vernon News
May 29, 2012 11:29 am EDT

 

MOUNT VERNON — Lightning struck the chimney at the Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County about 9:15 a.m. today, damaging the chimney and knocking out the phone system.

Mount Vernon firefighters found no sign of any fire, smoke or structural damage, Fire Chief Chris Menapace reported, but Library Director John Chidester decided to close the library for the rest of the day while the damage is assessed.

Advertisement

LJJA Martial Arts

 

Access to the south side of the library was roped off due to the loose bricks that could be seen on the roof near the chimney.

Cindy Dean, head of the circulation department, said there were only three or four patrons in the building at the time, along with the staff. She said the director, who was on vacation, decided it was best to close the library while they have a contractor look at the damage the strike caused.


Contact Chuck Martin
Email

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.