MOUNT VERNON — Testimony began Tuesday afternoon in the trial of Michael Collins, 55, of Frazeysburg for the death of Lilly Dawn Pressley-Claggett, 35, St. Louisville. Pressley-Claggett was killed and a passenger in the car she was driving, Jesse Collins, 30, of Frazeysburg, was shot in a shooting incident the night of July 1, 2011, on Ohio 586 south of Martinsburg.
Opening statements did not take place until after lunch as it took until 11:30 a.m. to seat a jury of seven men and six women. Judge Otho Eyster explained that 13 people were seated for the jury in case one needs to be dismissed before the trial concludes. He told the jury the trial will probably last through Friday.
If no juror has to leave or is dismissed, one juror will be chosen at random to be dropped before deliberations.
In opening arguments, Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher told the jury they would show how events unfolded that night, how the father and son had a history of conflict and how Michael Collins killed Pressley-Claggett and wounded his son with a gun he was not legally allowed to possess. He said Michael and Jesse Collins had been feuding and that led to the confrontation and shooting.
- Shooting leaves one dead, one injured July 4, 2011
- Frazeysburg man remains in critical condition after shootingJuly 5 2011
- Shooting shocks fire department July 7, 2011
- Collins remains in serious condition July 12, 2011
- Collins indicted for murder of Claggett August 4, 2011
- Collins Kramer gets community control December 10, 2011
- Collins' trial postponed February 7, 2012
- Murder trial starts with jury selection Tuesday July 16, 2012
- Murder trial tale of two stories July 18, 2012
- Prosecution lays foundation for case July 19, 2012
- Case continues to be built against Collins July 20, 2012
- Son, daughter testify against father July 21, 2012
- Jury deliberations continue July 23, 2012
- Jury renders verdict in Collins case July 23, 2012
- Collins found guilty of two minor charges July 24, 2012