MOUNT VERNON — The jury has heard all the witnesses, today they will hear how the lawyers fit all the pieces of the puzzle together in the trial of Michael Collins for the shooting death of Lilly Dawn Pressley-Claggett on July 1, 2011.
The prosecution concluded its presentation with testimony by Melissa Collins and Jesse Collins, the daughter and son of Michael Collins. This followed the completion of the court’s viewing of the recorded interview of Michael Collins by Sheriff’s Detective David Light.
The defense then called only four witnesses: Lt. Penny Lamp, Knox County Jail administrator; Christine Byers, the Newark resident who saw both Jesse and Pressley-Claggett, and Melissa and Michael, the day of the shooting; April, older sister of Melissa and Jesse, and Michael Collins.
The trial will continue at 9 a.m. today with a ruling on the prosecution’s motion to enter several exhibits into evidence, followed by each side’s closing arguments. The jury will then get to decide which version of the night’s events to believe.
- Shooting leaves one dead, one injured July 4, 2011
- Frazeysburg man remains in critical condition after shootingJuly 5 2011
- Shooting shocks fire department July 7, 2011
- Collins remains in serious condition July 12, 2011
- Collins indicted for murder of Claggett August 4, 2011
- Collins Kramer gets community control December 10, 2011
- Collins' trial postponed February 7, 2012
- Murder trial starts with jury selection Tuesday July 16, 2012
- Murder trial tale of two stories July 18, 2012
- Prosecution lays foundation for case July 19, 2012
- Case continues to be built against Collins July 20, 2012
- Son, daughter testify against father July 21, 2012
- Jury deliberations continue July 23, 2012
- Jury renders verdict in Collins case July 23, 2012
- Collins found guilty of two minor charges July 24, 2012