HOWARD — A fracture in a water filter under the sink in an Apple Valley home flooded the ground floor and left a pool of water in the basement recreation room Tuesday morning.
“I woke up at 9:30 a.m. and heard the water running,” said Brenda Williams.
What she found was water about six inches deep in the kitchen. It was draining down into a ventilation outlet into the ceiling of the basement and collecting on the floor.
She estimated the water had been running about two hours.
Her husband, Ed, was out of town on business but her children, Brian and Andrea were home.
Williams said she immediately called the Knox County Water Department who shut off the water on an outside valve.
“We are in depravation, it all happened so fast. We are planning for a wedding and now this.” She added the fully-carpeted basement was new. A television set and all the furniture was all ruined.
As a result of water in the basement ceiling, tile was coming loose and falling into the water in the basement.
Williams’ son, Brian, said he remembered the pilot light on the propane gas furnace went out and to avoid an explosion from escaping gas, he waded in and turned off the gas.
She estimated the cost of the damage at $25,000. The property is insured as she said she is awaiting an estimate from the adjuster.
The Williams have lived in the home nine years.