Mount Vernon News
 
 

By Mount Vernon News
September 24, 2012 11:36 am EDT

 

MOUNT VERNON — An early morning fire Sept. 21 at 21 Madison Ave. was determined to be caused by unattended burning candles.

Advertisement

LJJA Martial Arts

 

Mount Vernon Fire Chief Chris Menapace told the News that upon investigation, remnants of candles were found in the living room of the house which had its electric service shut off. No functioning smoke alarms were found in the house.

Listed as leasing the property was Kirk Stamper, whose family was provided clothing, bedding, food and money for a baby crib by the Knox County Chapter of the American Red Cross. The Stamper family was said to be out of the house and staying with family while the electricity was turned off.

Sleeping in a bedroom when the blaze was discovered were Josh Schoonover, Rachel Counsel and Mason Satta, 3, of Mount Vernon, all of whom were transported to Knox Community Hospital. Satta was flown by Air-Evac to Nationwide Children’s Hospital. At noon today, he was listed in critical but stable condition.

The Red Cross also provided Counsel with a gas voucher to travel to the hospital to visit her son.


Contact Alan Reed
Email

Rules: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don’t attack other commenters personally and keep your language decent. If a comment violates our comments standards, click the “X” in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.