DANVILLE — A trash fire near 25 round bales of hay set them on fire just south of Danville, Wednesday afternoon.
The fire, at the Kountry Junction, Bent and Dent store, 12270 Millersburg Road, (U.S. 62) started around 2 p.m. when embers from the trash fire fell on the 1,200-pound bales.
A concern was the bales were packed close to the store and near a propane tank. Eastern Knox County Joint Fire District firefighters pumped 7,000 gallons of water and foam on the bales but did not completely put out the fire that burned deep into them.
The owner of the business, Earl Tharp, used a front loader to spread the bales out on the field behind he building. There was not enough flames to ignite the propane tank but the bales were so close to the pole barn-type structure the fire was hot enough to heat the metal siding and burn into the wood of the building.
There was damage to the structure, according Capt. Brian Durbin. He added the owners Darlene and Earl Tharp have no insurance on the building or the hay. The department called for mutual aid with tankers from College Township and Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department.
They replenished water from a hydrant on the south edge of Danville. In addition to the tanker the department had two engines, a grass truck and medic. Eight firefighters battled the fire and two firefighters each came from College and Bladensburg.
Durbin estimated the loss at $5,000 to the building and $2,000 for the hay.
Contact Virgil ShipleyEmail
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.