MOUNT VERNON — Chilling cold resulted in a frozen pipe in the sprinkler system at the Mount Vernon Senior Citizens Center. The pipe burst Thursday at 1:17 p.m. The rupture set off the fire alarm and when the Mount Vernon Fire Department arrived they found three inches of water covering the carpet of 5,000-square feet floor.
The break, above the ceiling a hallway off the main room, took down a large section of ceiling. Four firefighters jumped in and spent an hour using squeegees to push the water out the door.
Servpro of Licking County was called in to perform the clean up which continued until Friday.
The baseboard around the room had to be removed to start drying out the carpet. The company brought in several blowers to force air in and out of the room to aid the drying process.
Servpro said it would take until Tuesday to renovate the room. Meanwhile the hot meals for seniors was suspended but frozen meals were distributed. Hot meals will start again Monday. The damage is covered by insurance.
Contact Virgil ShipleyEmail
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.