MOUNT VERNON — The Don Bouchard house that caught fire Wednesday morning is a total loss, College Township Fire Chief Bill Smith said Thursday. The home is at 8 Oak Lane, off Wooster Road, north of Mount Vernon. College Township and Mount Vernon firefighters managed to save some personal items from a bedroom and some things from the basement.
Smith said they determined the fire started from three-day-old ashes in the foyer of the house. The fire burned through the floor and spread from there. He said initially, the Mount Vernon Fire Department, which was first on the scene, had the fire under control. They were also using water to cool a 500-gallon propane tank that provided heat to the home.
The fire reignited and continued to burn out of control as water supplies dwindled. Both departments were then able to lay hose line from the home to Wooster Road, where the College Township department was able to supply water from a portable water tank. A total of 16 men from both departments fought the fire. Smith has no cost estimate of the loss to the house and contents.