FREDERICKTOWN — A committee from the Fredericktown Community Development Foundation, the organization that initated the idea of building a bandstand to replace the one torn down 29 years before, is making plans for the structure’s 25th anniversary.
Community members are invited to celebrate Sunday, May 20, from 1 to 5 p.m. In addition, a time capsule buried the day of the bandstand’s dedication on May 17, 1987, will be opened.
A bandstand was built in the early 1900s by funds raised by subscription and by an “excursion” to Cedar Point. The 16-foot-square bandstand, which stood on the village square now occupied by the canon, was torn down in 1956.
The present bandstand was built in a single day, following weeks of planning, using volunteer labor, and an estimated $10,000 to $11,000 in donated materials, labor and funding. A copper pinnacle was donated by Homer Mavis. Clyde Hoeflich was chairman of the Build the Bandstand Committee. Other chairmen included: Jim Fox, plans and design; Bill Burgett, construction; Skip Lanz, finance chairman; James Allen, promotion coordinator; and Bill Beheler, chairman of the Build the Bandstand Fund.
Several of those same leaders are instrumental in planning the 25th anniversary celebration, including: Jim Fox, Bill Burgett and Skip Lanz. Other members of the current committee are Andy Fox, Dave Daniels, Dan Shrimplin, Carol Grubaugh, Connie Lee and Judy Divelbiss. Contact any of these members if interested in helping.
Published on April 5, 2012